I had the chance to spend a week in Darmstadt at Bauverein AG within the experience exchange program foreseen by Eurhonet between companies that work with social housing. Darmstadt is a city which has 145.000 citizens, in the central-west part of Germany, 30 km south of Frankfurt in Hessen.
Bauverein is a public limited company, entirely subsidized by public money. It manages round 18.000 apartments and other properties like offices, shops, restaurants and other real estates. Bauverein has 180 employees.
Program of the week:
I arrived in Darmstadt the 15th of January in the evening. I lodged in a completely furnished and well appointed flat, which was provided free by HEAG Wohnbau, a building management society associated to Bauverein.
16 January Meeting with Ing. Arne Schreier, Bauverein representative and introduction to the collaborators.
16-20 January Taking part in meetings and inspections about:
- fulfillment of a social housing project which comprehends the realization of 19 flats
- demolition of old structures in order to build new flats
- demolition and rebuilding of mansions in the city center of Darmstadt in order to recover useful spaces to use them as trade activities
- energy savings and raising of blocks that were built in the 50s
- ordinary and extraordinary upkeep and repairs of rented flats in Darmstadt and in the area of Odenwald
construct a passive building with homes
- renovation of a passive building with offices (Institut Wohnen Umwelt)
- city tour paying particular attention to the real estates of Bauverein
Examine work methodologies and technologies in order to delve into energy saving knowledge.
One week was enough to comprehend in the main the organization, the aims and targets of Bauverein. Support on site was impeccable, either from a technical point of view, or logistical. The helpfulness of the technical staff involved in the project was outstanding. Cues that needed any technical deepening regard in the most constructing details. Any in-depth examination would require at least another week at the Bauverein, relating with the site engineers and designers in charge. As regards the goal: examine work methodologies and technologies in order to delve into energy saving knowledge, it was without a doubt useful to comprehend the methodologies, but as I mentioned before, any deepening about the technologies would require more time on-site.
This Experience stimulated mainly considerations about the concept of ventilation of the buildings: it is important for us to keep ventilation in mind, nowadays that energy saving technologies tend to seal buildings.
Other considerations would involve other discussion points, that regard more management affairs then the technical ones.