Best practice of Bolton at Home, UK
Bolton at Home asks suppliers, as part of their contracts, to create jobs, work experience or training opportunities for the long-term unemployed on Bolton’s estates who need extra help to get into work.
Business in the Community (BITC) recognised the value of this work and we were named the winner of their 2016 Responsible Business Awards in the category of ‘employment for excluded groups’. The work programme creates paid jobs that would have otherwise not existed for people with low confidence, health and wellbeing issues, lack of experience and in need of new skills. Impacts:
- breaks cycle of long-term unemployment for families;
- helps people to become more socially and economically active;
- improves people’s health and well-being;
- delivers tangible bottom-line returns for the business in rents;
- creates new employment and skills funding opportunities.